Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Having Enough Faith to See the Impossible

Everywhere I turn this week, I hear the word “impossible”. It ranges from places in my casual conversation with a non-religious friend to my assignments in my Bible study. Questions deep within me have been forming about my true understanding of what impossibilities mean as they are regarded in my life.

If you look back to the days of Christ, miracles were done and people believed the impossible by seeing them preformed in front of their eyes. Today, those same miracles happen daily and they are presumed possible through the advancement of science. We hear story after story about people who should be dead but are not. There are books written, movies made, and testimonies told yet many still don’t believe.

So what needs to change? As we have morphed into a new society with great advancements and expectations we have to assume that God’s ability to make us see changes too. It is not Him who changes, for He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, but how we interact in His plan must change as we embrace the presence of new impossibilities.

We all have them in our life. Perhaps the impossible is the need of a medical cure, financial freedom, healing in a marriage, a job, or possibly forgiveness of self or another. Some of the most common needs of a miracle these days stem in the impossible act of being set free from an addiction. Whatever the case, a pure understanding of what God can and will do is needed in order to see the impossible become possible. He has a purpose in everything so what if the hardship we face is to get us to a place that we see Him in our situation?

So what does my impossible look like? It looks like cleaning out years of compulsive buying. It looks like letting go of things that numbed my emotions in the adverse effort to have some sort of control in my life. It looks likes a need to start an exercise program for the first time in my life. It looks like learning to cook for my family instead of eating ready-made meals. It looks like creating a schedule that forms practical self-boundaries to help keep me motivated when the hormones kick in each month and depression seeks to destroy all that God has brought me through.

I have felt in the past that if I could fill my every moment with appointments, errands, and a willful spirit I could outrun the need to do the work required to really move forward. I have also allowed myself to think that I am not worthy of such accomplishments because those around me doubt my ability. But in reality, aren’t those the ones that God is known to use? Doesn’t He typically choose the weak to show His strength? Doesn’t the desperate learn their need for Him much greater then those who rely on their own?

So my next question is, what is your impossible and what are you going to do about it? Are you going to see the purpose of it in your life and face it head on or are you going to accept the world’s vision of it and stop where you are? I encourage you to see...to see that we have a God that creates impossible circumstances so that we can encounter His power through witnessing the impossible become possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment