Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Perceptions…

Someone I love greatly recently put my faith into question by saying that I hide behind God and expect Him to care for me when it is my responsibility to care for myself. I, in no way felt that I needed to justify who I am in a counter attack but do feel a bit heartbroken that I was being completely misjudged. Then this week for my discussion question in class I was asked, “How do our perceptions of the world differ from the actual physical world? In other words, are our perceptions of people, places, things...accurate?” This is asked from a Biological point of view based in the world of Psychology but I have spent today reflecting on what it means to me in light of this week. Here for the first time I am posting my actual reply that I recoreded and am feeling okay with the fact that I may perhaps often be misunderstood when the foundational truth is measured against what is seen and not what is accepted in faith.

The accuracy of our perception is only as good as the foundation of truth that we measure it up against. If we approach this topic from the “perception” of what we see, then the basis of our understanding is limited to the physical aspects of this world. This basically means that the angle of our position primarily dictates how we relate within the perimeter of that understanding. For example, if four people witness a car wreak and two drivers were involved, you will probably end up with six different stories depending on their perception of the events. Does this make one more accurate then another…possibly, but probably not. Unless the individual’s vision is skewed based on personal experience or biased opinions, then their recognition of the truth is based on their acceptance of what they saw, heard, and felt, first hand. Unfortunately, as human beings we also bring in our past emotions and experiences that may or may not cloud our judgment. This is what often overrides our vision to compromise using the term “accurate” when compared to another’s understanding of the same incident.

It is exactly in this concept that I have to disregard my idea of what is seen or heard and look to the one who created me to find a truth that is immovable when measured up against it all. This spiritual world concept is invited into the physical so that the accuracy cannot be changed based on its validation of those who reside here. Whether or not one believes its validity has no bearing on its truth. It cannot be compromised or corrupted, only misjudged by the one who accepts or rejects it, which means very little when compared to the source.

So, in a nutshell, can I trust my perception? My answer: ONLY when I seek the direction of my God and follow that path without regard to the consequence. The moment I change my focus from Him and place it elsewhere is the moment I need to question my motive. Think about Peter when he cried out to Jesus in the mist of the storm. This world’s truth tells us that men cannot walk on water but Peter wanted to show Jesus His devotion by stepping out in faith. However, the moment his motivation turned and he focused on his fear instead of the one who could make his impossible travel a reality, he begin to sink.
What do you measure your truth up against?

No comments:

Post a Comment