Friday, October 8, 2010

Looking at the Rippling Reflection in My Waters

Today while walking I thought a lot about my child. I tried to see the world through his eyes and wondered why he is so intent on not seeing the bigger picture. He appears to be running away from the lessons I thought I poured into him. I often catch myself saying, “A little bit of honey goes along way” cause I want him to understand that not everything has to be a battle of the wills. Sometimes there is an easier way and I know that patience and love works faster then arguing and trying to manipulate the situation. Even if one is right, it is often counterproductive to be abrasive when trying to get a point across.

Then God gracefully reminded me of myself at that age (and perhaps even now at times). I was very strong headed, opinionated, and could have been considered a bit rebellious. In fact, if I saw a trend go one way, I made the choice to go the exact opposite. Do you remember the band New Kids on the Block? Well, I distinctly made the decision that I wasn’t going to like them solely cause everyone else did. I was bound and determined to be different. I will not dissect the theories behind that defense but I will say that God knew my heart even then. He knew my ability to not be sucked into the culture as my peers defined it. Even if my motive was wrong at the time, He took that rebel in me, softened it up, and gave me a passion that could be used only for Him. I still struggle with how I am perceived and question whether I can be “the light” He calls us to be, but I have proclaimed Jeremiah 17:14 and rest in His promises to transform me. That determined spirit has been handed over to the One who has shown to be worthy of my trust and obedience to His will is overtaken mine.

Now my point is, if you have someone in your life that seems to be pushing the envelope in ways that doesn’t exactly make sense to you, please don’t loose hope. They may try to act like they don’t need, appreciate, or care what you think but I assure you it is only coming from a perspective that hasn’t fully matured yet. Their understanding of their position is so narrow that it’s like they have tunnel vision. They can only see the happenings of what is going on inside their perimeter therefore making it difficult to navigate within yours. My only real recommendation is to lift them up in prayer. I have no doubt that my mother’s continued prayer for my heart is what made the difference in my life. Never second-guess that power.

No comments:

Post a Comment